Sunday, October 12, 2008

Spiders


We have lots of spiders in our garden. I dont worry about them as I feel if I leave them alone-they will not bother me. One spider in particular that does cause a bit of concern is the "Eastern Mouse Spider". We never see them very often, as the female lives in a tunnel in the ground. It is only if I happen to dig one up that I am reminded that they are about. I have been told that they are quiet venomus - equal to the funnel -web. The exception is the shape of the fangs, which are curved and are not able to afford the same bite of the funnel-web. I dont really know if this information is accurate - but I take it at face value. I happened to dig up a small female yesterday, she is only about 1/3 the size of a mature female. The male is much smaller and has a red head. The photo I took is not very clear, should I come across a mature female, I will photograph it and post it.

No comments: